Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.

Address data within Buildings

edited September 2020 in Data
Hello,

I ran into an issue while trying to import more data into my Tygron project. We've received some municipality datasources with interesting fields regarding energy and types of houses we'd like to add to the pool of data. All this data is based on the address of a house, so zipcode and street+housenumber. One route I've tried this is by exporting the Building data and trying to integrate our datasource to this for a re-import in Tygron. The only issue is that it's not possible to match this data. I believe the Building data in Tygron involves the whole building, I see the addresses in a building in the box underneath the map when I click on a specific building. But when I export all buildings, it doesn't include all addresses (with zipcode and all) in that building. Which makes sense I'm guessing, because it's a different level of data. A building can have multiple addresses in it right? I also saw that another potential matching field: the BAG IDs of these houses from the municipality data and the ones from the Buildings are also completely different. Which would also be explained by the fact that Buildings and addressen in them are 2 separate thing, if I understand correctly.

Still I was wondering if it is possible to somehow add this data to Tygron on the address level?
Meaning exporting the Buildings in a way that it includes a record for all the addressen in the building. At least the actuel BAG IDs from the separate addresses or the zipcodes+housenumber. Or if there might be another way to import a address-based dataset like ours into Tygron.

I imagine a lot of datasources are identified by fields like zipcode/address, that's why I am asking here. So hopefully I'm not the first one to ever have to deal with this situation :)

Comments

• Hey there,

although it is possible to add and edit addresses manually for any construction your project, it is currently not possible to load in address data automatically.

Addresses are currently used mainly as base information for our network technology. If this is the relevant functionality you wish to use the data for, it may be worth it to explore loading in your data directly as the netloads used for network calculations.

If your intent is to use this data as information for the constructions to which the addresses belong, I recommend looking into combining the relevant information to connect it to the constructions directly. For most calculations the software would either aggregate the results, or use the geographical properties of the construction for spatial calculations.

I certainly agree that there is plenty of data on an address-level which may be relevant to a variety of use-cases, but the form of calculations performed on that data tend to allow aggregation or translation into construction-based data. Can you provide more information on the kind of calculations you wish to perform with this data? With more context, I, my colleagues, or other members of the community can provide some more detailed ideas.

Sprawling spreadsheets so intricate Alexander the Great cuts them in half.

• Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was assuming that this might be the case, so that makes sense to me.

We are indeed intending to use this data as information for the constructions to which these addresses belong. We are wondering which data can be used for that, because some data of addresses can be combined and added to the construction they belong to. But in order to do that, you have to know which addresses belong to which buildings, thus making that "connection". Do you have any ideas on how to archieve this?

Most of that address-level data that is collected by for example the municipality uses the address as identifier, but does not have any fields that I can see that might lead to the possibility of connecting them with the constructions in Tygron from that side directly. Usually they also do not have any geo-data that might connect them to a building so we figured we might be able to create that by exporting the building data and adding our data into new fields. But the issue will then obviously be the mapping The only possible entrance for that I see so far is that the addresses are under the constructions in Tygron, but as you say is not export-able. Other than going through all addresses one-by-one and formatting/creating the data by hand, are there other ways you might think are possible to archieve this easier?

As for some examples: We have data that shows energy-usage from a whole year for every address, something that can give an interesting overview of the neighborhoud, and could be grouped by addresses in a construction. Other things like type of roof and type of building (according to the municipality) which is also group-able and can create an overview where we can see which types of buildings we have which can then help grouping stakeholders from the neighborhood. These things are also groupable because they say something about the whole construction, but are just collected by the municipality by address. We also have data that might be more difficult to group on a construction-level like energylabels for every address, but I think our start should be the data dat we can group.

• edited May 2020

At this time there is no method available via the Tygron client to export that data. However, you can export and import the constructions from and to the project.

If your address data is georeferenced already, you can export the constructions from your project, use a GIS application such as QGIS to aggregate your address data into the constructions as desired, and then import the constructions dataset again. When importing, you can opt to import the data to update existing constructions, rather than import brand new constructions. Via this route, you are in control of the way the data is aggregated, and you can prevent data being overwritten unintentionally.

If your data is not georeferenced yet, and your project takes place in the Netherlands, consider combining your dataset (which is address-based) with, for example, the PDOK addresses dataset: https://www.pdok.nl/introductie/-/article/adress-1

• Since our data is not georeferenced yet, and from the Netherlands, I suppose that last option is our way to go and I think it is a good lead so hopefully that gets us further!

I still have a few questions about it though:

1. I can't seem to download these datasets from PDOK only see the metadata or the XML. Am I looking for the wrong thing?
    2. Once I have this PDOK dataset and the exported construction dataset from Tygron. On which aspects would you say I can combine them in a tool like QGIS? Since I see there are fields like geometry (filled with a multipolygon) and coordinates (a long string with coordinates) in the construction dataset, but from what I can see the datasets about addressen from PDOK only has one x and one y coord and I am not sure on what else to join them. How do you think this is possible in the easiest way? Does QGIS do something for us automaticly if coordinates match or are withing bound or something? For me, having this addresses dataset with geo-data seems like a huge step in the right direction so that is amazing, but I can't fully imagine myself the combining process quite clearly yet so hopefully you have some further ideas/explanations on this.
  • In addition to my comment above:

For example if I try to add the WSF service to Tygron: nothings happens weither I try to update the buildings or import as new buildings, even though the map on the step "View features" gives a lot of red dots. Also when I look in the dropdown with attribute filters I see six fields (lilke city, zipcode, housenr, street etc), but in the last step of the import wizard it lists only 2 of them.

I think one step should be adding that address-dataset to Tygron. So I can maybe export it to GeoJSON from Tygron to edit and add to it in QGis. Buy how can I import this Address WSF correctly?

• Hey there!

I'm not personally entirely familiar with PDOK's structure, but I do know they have datasets available as our software uses a similar connection internally as well.

However, if you're looking at joining the two datasets together, you will want to do the aggregation externally and import the construction-aggregated result into Tygron. Broadly, you're looking at the following steps:

1. Obtain the dataset from PDOK, and load it into you GIS application (assuming QGIS for now)
    2. Export the buildings dataset as GeoJSON from Tygron, and load it into your GIS application
    3. Combine the dataset you have with the dataset to PDOK. The result should be that you have point data with your desired attributes, and that the points overlap with the buildings from Tygron.
    4. In your GIS application, perform a spatial-join operation. This will put the attributes of any points overlapping with a construction into that construction. Depending on how you configre the opration: an average of the attributes of multiple points, a sum, etc. Look for the documentation of the application you are using to find the exact name of the operation in your application, and how to use it.
    5. Further modify the attributes in the buildings file in QGIS. The end result should be the attributes aggregated to the building level (so if a building contains 2 points with 1 inhabitant each, make sure the building has an inhabitants attribute with value 2, etc.
    6. Also make sure that the attributes you want to import have numeric values. With the exception of the name, you can only set numeric values.
    7. Export the result as a GeoJSON file, ready for import in Tygron.
    8. In Tygron, you can now import the file, using it to update existing constructions.

Kind regards!