Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.
Thank you for contributing to our forum!
Please keep in mind:
1. To only comment on the topic where the discussion is about. Do you have a new question or topic? Please start a new discussion.
2. Be kind to other users!

Jumps in water level increase in smaller waterways

Dear Forum users,

I am currently doing a research on how to calibrate a watersystem in Tygron. For this, I am looking into the sensitivity of the roughness coefficient in waterways. I made an empty project to control variables better and I came across something that i could not easily explain.

Little background on my project:

The project is an empty project of 500x2000 meters. In this project is built two waterways of 2000 meters long by changing the elevation geotiff. This way I could control the profile of the waterways better. The waterways are therefore not specified as "terain type waterway" but as "terain type Open land". Apart from having a different cross section profile, both waterways are exactly the same. Both waterways have the same inflow and outflow, through one inlet and one outlet. A more detailed describtion is attached.

In my left waterway I see an increase in waterlevel until a steady flow, but this goes with jumps. In the right waterway these jumps cannot be found. When decreasing the roughness coefficient, the same jumps appear also in the right waterway.

Could someone explain to me why I observe these jumps when the waterheigt increases?

Thank you in advance!

Ruben den Hertog

pdf
pdf
Project details.pdf

Comments

• Hello @Ruben ,

Thank you for posting your question on our forum.

We will look into it and get back to you asap about this.

To be continued.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Hi Ruben,

Based on your case description, it sounds like your setup is in principle pretty normal. However, recreating the setup (a very long straight waterway with a minimal width and minimal decline) I can't reproduce the results you are seeing.

My immediate suspicion is that perhaps the creation of the waterway has left an artifact somewhere which serves as a small weir, causing the water level to stand still in a specific spot until the basin following the obstruction has filled up as well. For now, I would recommend adding a surface elevation result type to your project, and ensuring that the entire route between in- and outlet indeed follows a downward slope. Any imperfections in this may be to blame.

Kind regards,

Rudolf