Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.
Thank you for contributing to our forum!
Please keep in mind:
1. To only comment on the topic where the discussion is about. Do you have a new question or topic? Please start a new discussion.
2. Be kind to other users!

green roof upgrade

Hello,

I am using the heat stress module and comparing time frames for different green actions. When I changed the building function as green roof, heat stress calculation does not take into account the change. It simply ignores it and assumes the building as bare roof. I tried the change function from measures and also tried the add pairs as suggested in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xln2fhXr0A . But I got the same results. I can convert other buildings into green roof by using add pairs and heat stress can calculate effect of green roof but not for the building I want to measure. Also, the building I try to convert imported to the program as placeholder function. I think maybe the program is not able to change function of imported objects. How can I solve this?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Hi there!

You describe that you have taken an action which creates green roofs, but that the green roofs have no effect. I've recreated this and made a few green roofs on a few buildings. What I've found is that, on the vegetation result type, the buildings do actually get a vegetation value (you may need to set the EXCLUDE_BUILDINGS overlay attribute to 0 to see this). The result type for the average vegetation result type also shows some effects, but because of the large area over which averaging takes place, the effect on the average vegeration value alsmost insignificantly small:

In this image, I have given 2 buildings green roofs. The graph shows in red the old average vegetation fraction, and in yellow the new average vegetation fraction. It has risen bij 0.0001, or 0.01%. That is not enough to have a noticeable effect on heat stress, unless you specifically adjust your overlay's legend (or difference legend) to show such minute changes. Your measure is a bit larger than my action, but I'm inclined to say that green roofs simply aren't an effective enough measure to change the UHI on a grand scale.

See if you can either make a greater effect in the 3D world, or adjust your measurement to find these small changes.