Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.
Thank you for contributing to our forum!
Please keep in mind:
1. To only comment on the topic where the discussion is about. Do you have a new question or topic? Please start a new discussion.
2. Be kind to other users!

UHI Result Type

Hi, I am conducting a study on mitigating the UHI effect by using nature-based solutions on the city-block scale. To assess the effectiveness of nature-based solutions, I will use PET and UHI as an indicator. Is there any detailed information about how UHI result type works and calculate the output?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello @Universiteit_leiden 4 ,

Thank you for your post!

May I ask, did you find the Heat module documentation on our wiki yet?

https://support.tygron.com/wiki/DPRA_Heat_Module

Here you can find all info on the calculation model that is been used and all result types and all other related info about our heat module.

I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Hi Hansje,

I have reviewed the wiki support page and it helped a lot to understand the logic behind it. I wonder if there is any project or study which has already used UHI as an indicator to investigate heat stress. I can find plenty of research for PET but nothing for UHI.

Thanks for your help.

• Hello @Universiteit_leiden 4 ,

For example this blog from Max Brink is about his project and he also took UHI into account> https://www.tygron.com/en/2021/04/07/what-is-the-most-effective-way-of-planting-trees-to-reduce-heat-stress/

Also this video about a project in Antwerp is available on our website.

These are two examples of how our Platform is been used in UHI projects.

It could be that our clients also have worked on UHI projects and used our software, but this is not always known by us because it is their project and not ours. Unfortunately I do not have a good overview of those projects so I cannot help you with that.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Hello,

When I run the heat stress overlay, in the UHI result type I got measurement between 3.2C and 4.6C. I wonder how the program calculates the temperature scale. Does it use difference between urban and rural temperature or minimum and maximum temperature values of the selected area?

I hope someone can help me out with my questions!

Thank you.

• Hey there,

the calculated Urban Heat Island (UHI) value is a temperature factor for further use in the calculation of the Physiological Equivalent Temperature (PET).

The UHI value is calculated by the formula documented here: https://support.tygron.com/wiki/UHI_formula_(Heat_Overlay)

The calculation is composed of 2 terms. One term consists of properties which affect geographical heat retention; the other term of maximum and minimum temperatures and a few related effects.

Does this sufficiently answer your question? Always be sure to check the documentation for more information on how values are derived and calculated!

• Hi @RudolfNL,

The link you sent answers my question.

Thank you!