Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.
Thank you for contributing to our forum!
Please keep in mind:
1. To only comment on the topic where the discussion is about. Do you have a new question or topic? Please start a new discussion.
2. Be kind to other users!

Calculating NO2 emissions

Hi,

I'm interested in an indicator that calculates the proportion of NO2 emitted by traffic that is sequestered by urban green. I found some interesting papers that provided tones of NO2 sequestered by ha and year of urban green (mainly urban forests).

Therefore, I need to calculate the emissions of traffic. The NO2 overlay provides annual average concentrations which cannot be used in mentioned indicator. I know I can calculate emissions using next formula from your model:

E = N [(1-FS)((1-(fm+fz+fb))El + fm Em + fz * Ez + fb * Eb) + FS * ((1-(fm + fz + fb)) * El,d + Fm * Em,d + fz * Ez,d+fb*Eb,d)]*1000/(24*3600)

However, I cannot figure it out how to calculate the length of roads since they are polygons. Is there a way to know the width of roads so then I could calculate the length?

Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hey Joseph,

At this time it is a bit of a chicken-and-egg type of question. Knowing a length or a width allows you to calculate the other. But because a road can be an arbitrarily-shaped polygon, a length and a width can be any direction of the polygon, assuming it's even a rectangle (or rectangle-ish). Our visualization does make use of a centre line to show moving vehicles, which requires knowing an orientation, but that information is is not directly exposed in the user-space.

Looking at the context of your question, you seem to indicate that you are looking at a yearly sequestration, but that Tygron's calculation of yearly averages is insufficient for this. Could you clarify why a result of the yearly averages doesn't work for your purposes?

Kind regards,