Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.
Thank you for contributing to our forum!
Please keep in mind:
1. To only comment on the topic where the discussion is about. Do you have a new question or topic? Please start a new discussion.
2. Be kind to other users!

Group overlay for year of construction

Hi,

I have a question related to another forum item, but I realized that was already closed (Overlay with Year of construction Buildings). I am also trying to make an overview of year of construction for all my buildings, and the BAG import in the Areas gives the possibility to add them to the overlays so that is great.

But I am also trying to make it somehow readable: for example by trying to group them like so 1920-1940, 1940-1960 and so on. Just like other overlays like the zipcodes. The best I've been able to do is importing all the BAG layers with the year of construction as their name so I can make an overview with legend of all of them. But then it also sees duplicates as other years like so: 1996 and 1996(2), and they get different colors. I want to group them if possible. I thought about merging the areas, because importing the BAG data creates an X amount of new areas, and if I where to import every building between 1940-1960 I could make that into 1 area with one color and custom legend label en thus build my overlay like that for every grouping I want to make. But I cannot find an options similar to this.

Is it possible to somehow create this group-based overview?

Comments

• Hoi @Hogeschoolarnhemnijmegen 2,

On this Wiki page with tips about preparing your data before importing, is also a section which I think is suitable for your use case: https://support.tygron.com/wiki/Data_preparation#Colors

The steps would then be to save the part of the BAG data you would like to import in a GIS, follow the steps mentioned in the link above and then importing the data into the Platform.

Tygron support team

• Hello,

Thanks, it seems like this is quite the right direction. But it still have some issues making it work.

I've done the following:

• Export my building data including year of construction and open it with a GIS viewer
    • Added a column "Color" and filled it with a color-code based on category (1900-1950 = -154 etc...)
    • Exported this new GeoJSON file

With the inporting in Tygron, I still have some issues. When I import the data into an existing Area, like on the wiki-page, nothing happens. If I import it as a new Area, it still starts listing a new Area for every building instead of grouping them, it does this: -154, 154 (1), -154 (2) etc. After selecting one of these Areas, instead of showing all the buildings that were supposed to have that color, it simply highlights that one specific building.

I don't quite understand which steps in the importing process need to be adjusted to change that. So I was wondering if you could help me out with this.

One thing I have not done: Go to the attributes of the empty Area I created and add colors for all the colors I picked in the GeoJSON file, because I only see one color-field there and I can't seem to find how to add them so I had to skip that step.

I've added a couple of screenshots that might help understand what my situation is so far:

• edited May 2020

Hi @Hogeschoolarnhemnijmegen 2 ,

It seems like you are well on your way!

In the example on the Wiki, the Areas belonging to the same category are not merged on purpose, because in that example the attributes of each area need to be kept. If you don't need the attributes per Area for your use case, you can merge the Areas belonging to the same category in a GIS.

If you do not want to merge the Areas, you can import the GeoJSON file as new Areas. In step 4 Naming you can choose the Building year (or similar) as attribute. After finishing the wizard, you will then have an Area per building, in where each Area is named according to the building year. These Areas however, have a color based on the attribute COLOR and the value of this attribute. If you browse though these areas from the Area menu, you will only see the corresponding area highlighted green.

If you create an Overlay from these Areas, you can see all the Areas at once and you will see that the Areas belonging to the same category (Building year) will have the same color.

To create an Overlay, follow these steps: https://support.tygron.com/wiki/Geo_Data_tutorial#Create_an_overlay

The last step is then to remove the double entries from the legend, see this page on how to edit the legend: https://support.tygron.com/wiki/How-to_edit_an_overlay_legend

You can select multiple entries from the legend by holding SHIFT and selecting the entries.

The step on the Wiki to create a new Area and changing the value of the COLOR attribute was added to help find the right color codes. After you have copied/written down these color codes, this extra Area is not needed anymore and can be deleted.

Let me know if you managed to create the overview or if you need more help.

Tygron support team