Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.
Thank you for contributing to our forum!
Please keep in mind:
1. To only comment on the topic where the discussion is about. Do you have a new question or topic? Please start a new discussion.
2. Be kind to other users!

Source for building type and characteristics data

Hi there,
I am wondering which criteria/data source determines the building category and types. In addition to this, what are their function values are based upon?

For example, what is the reasoning (whether it be directly from a database, or based on other assumptions) assuming that building xx fits into the social housing category with the type being mid-century affordable housing? And further, what is the reasoning behind all mid-century affordable housing having a sloping roof height of 2.2m?

I hope you can help bring some clarity to the assumptions made in the model, thanks! :)

Comments

• edited May 2019

Hello Ellie,

The software places a modle from the platform database based on the BAG information about function and construction year f.e. On this wiki page you can find more about this data source and then particular elements we use http://support.tygron.com/wiki/Project_Sources. This feeds into which category we pic a model for. The combination of the data sources (in this case the BAG and AHN) form the roof information. Please take a look on this source page to see the data sources that have been used to come to this conclusion.

Your question about the function values has already been answerd in a previous post.
    http://community.tygron.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/92/literature-sources-for-function-values-heat-stress-and-water-storage/p1
    This does not differ from that answer. If you talk about the carecartistics of the building (so not the function values but the category info) this is also filled out based on the data sources that have been used to create the 3D world. The amount of floorlevels f.e. is based on the height and the type of building.

It is hard to explain all elements because it are so many elements but this is the general answer to your question. I hope this explains it.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Hi Hansje, thank you for your response.
    Good to know that the category choice is based upon the BAG and AHN data sources, however I was hoping for more detail in the reasoning for the actual choices made.

For my project, the accuracy of the roof slope data is very important. Therefore I am currently doing a comparison of the roof slope modelled in Tygron compared to what it is in real life (conclusions drawn from visiting the project area and also in google satellite). I have found that there are very significant differences in the roof slope shown in Tygron and in real life. This therefore becomes a big problem when making decisions of what measures to take in specific buildings (i.e. water roofs can only be on flat roofs).

Is it possible to see in further detail the decisions/assumptions you made when picking the category? When using Tygron for academic purposes it is very important to know the reasoning behind assumptions made (I assume it is also very important for decision makers to have characteristics such as roof slope to be as accurate as possible in order to choose measures).

I hope that you can bring further detail to this response.

Many thanks,
    Ellie

• Hello Ellie,

Thank you for your additional infomration about the goal of your project. I can help you in telling that the LOD (Level of Detail) not the focus is of our software and therefor not accurate enough for you reseach I think. It is one of our goals to get a higher LOD in the upcomming year but that is not helping you now. We do not have any additional infomration about the choises made for modeling the 3D world. You can however edit the sloping roof if you want to manually. How you can do that is exlained in this forum post http://community.tygron.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/102#Comment_102.

About the decision maker you mention. It is indeed impoertant to them but our sftware is possibly not the right software to make calcutaions on that level. They use it to make decisions very early in the planning proces and make very detail calculations, based on the outcomes of our software, in more specific software programs. We are working on our calculations and accuracy all the time but for now this kind of LOD is not possible yet.

I hope this explains more about what we do. I know this is not te clarity you wanted already. I will ask my colleague if he can give some additional information but I'm not sure if he can. If so, I will add it to this post.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Hi Hansje, thank you for your explanation. I completely understand that LOD is not your primary concern with Tygron at the moment. Thanks for also following up with a colleague - because I am sure there was some thought process behind the decisions rather than "randomly choosing" details based on no background information. Looking forward to hearing if he can give some further detail.

• edited May 2019

Hi Ellie,

Have you seen this Wiki page: http://support.tygron.com/wiki/GIS_City_Generation_NL Here is some of the reasoning behind the 3D model explained.
    Please keep in mind that this page is outdated, we now use a lot more matchers and data sources but maybe it will provide some insight. I will make a note that we should update the page.
    An example of a dataset we now also use is the Risicokaart for building type functions, ownership etc. Here you can see the whole list of datasets: http://support.tygron.com/wiki/Project_Sources
    I also suggest you familiarize yourself a bit with these datasets, so you can better understand where information comes from.

Specifically for the roof height, have you tried using AHN3 instead of AHN2?
    AHN3 is the most recent version of the heightmap of the Netherlands.
    You can also get more height detail by changing the resolution. For more information, please see: http://support.tygron.com/wiki/Terrain_height#Terrain_height_in_the_Tygron_Platform
    On that page, also more is explained about rooftops.

Also remember that we provide with our software a model, it is not the real world.

Tygron support team

• Hi Godlief, thank you for this, I hadn't seen that first wiki page which answers many of my questions!
    Many thanks,
    Ellie