Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.

Effect of climate change in soil subsidence calculation

@Henk van Hardeveld , Thank you for letting me share your question and answer on our forum so all users can learn from this.

Based on the WIKI, it is not entirely clear to me how climate change affects the soil subsidence calculation. Is it correct that with the attribute CLIMATE_FINAL_TEMP you specify which temperature you expect in the end year of your calculation? And that the overlay then calculates the temperature change per year from a starting year and based on that adjust the attribute A per year? And is that starting year 2010, with a temperature of 10.1 C? (By the way, in that case you do not take into account the acceleration or deceleration of the climate change, which some scenarios do, but that does not seem too bad to me) And is the value of attribute A that you can enter the default value of the formula, on the basis of which the overlay itself calculates what that value is in the starting year of the calculation? Or do you have to do that last step yourself. What would mean using the values in line 23 of the attached spreadsheet? (Spreadsheet is in Dutch)

Kind regards,
Hansje
Tygron support team

Tagged:

Comments

• @Henk van Hardeveld, And hereby I send you the answer as well ;)

On this wiki page we have made some adjustments which should help you understand how to interpret the calculation.

I hope this is helpfull for you.

Please let us know if this answers all your questions.

https://previewsupport.tygron.com/wiki/Subsidence_calculation#Yearly_recalculation_of_parameter_a

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Dear Hansje,

Thank you for the adjustments on the wiki page. They make things much clearer!

In fact, they make it so clear that I have a follow-up question / suggestion.

T1990 is meant as a reference point at which the microbial activitity which causes the oxidation of peat equals 1.

You state that T1990 equals 10.1 °C. However, this value is the average yearly temperature recorded at De Bilt over the periode 1980–2010.

So, if you want to use 10.1 °C as a reference point, you should change the reference year to 2010.

Even better, as the empirical relation of soil subsidence reflects three decades prior to 2003, I suggest you use T2003 as a reference point.

In that case, you should use the average yearly temperature recorded at De Bilt over the periode 1973–2003, which is 9.9 °C.

Kind regards,

Henk van Hardeveld

• Hello Henk,

Thank you for this comment. We are looking at it internally and will get back to you about this as soon as we have more information.

Your suggestion requiers some adjustment on our Platform so I need to run it by our R&D team as well.

We will keep you and all other users posted ;P

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• edited January 2021

@Henk van Hardeveld ,

I'm happy to inform you this calculation has been updated in the Preview Server update last Friday.

We will soon update the calculation on our wiki as well.

When we do, I will post the updated version here.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team