Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.

Selecting the storage in buildings

Hi support,

I've created a couple of new building types with storage. One of them, for example, is a road with storage crates for stormwater. I've also created an overlay with a rain event.

Now, after the rain event I'd like to know how much water is in my crates.

I'm pretty sure Tygron is calculating it, since it does show in my Water Balance. After the rain event, there is now a certain amount of storage in my buildings. But the big question is, how do I make a TQL for my panel to show this in my panel. And off course I'd prefer to know it per building type. So, I'd like to know it for my road with storage crates, but also for my bicycle path with storage crates.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hey Ward,

unfortunately, at this time the used storage capacity of constructions is not accessible using TQL. Indeed the water balance is currently the only way of accessing this information.

Could you provide more information on the context of this question? Perhaps there are other ways to create a trackable form of water storage, depending on what you're after exactly.

Kind regards,

Rudolf

• Hey Rudolf,
    The context, yes. I am making a panel with a water balance for different locations (area's) in my project. I'd like to show the effect of certain measures taken in these different locations on the water balance. So in effect, I'd like to list all the different measures (road with storage, roof with vegetation, ect.) and the storage after a rain event in one panel. The reason why this is interesting has to do with the "landelijke afvoernorm" (national drainage standard?) for water boards. Water boards must take this into account when designing an area.
  • Hey Ward,

though we do support a water balance for the entire area, and allow for the retrieval of information per aggregate location, I currently do not have method for you to retrieve the used water storage per aggregate location.

However, a workaround might be to create a sewer area, per Area, separate from your "normal" sewer areas. These would be modeled without a sewer overflow, would have a finely tuned SEWER_STORAGE, and be placed under the structures which you wish to apply your storage to. You would then also set those structures to be "sewered" so that water will flow not into the storage, but into a separate sewer. You can then use the "sewer last value" result type to find the amount of (sewer) storage that was used.

I will make a note internally that the water storage is currently a blind spot in terms of results. However, at this time I cannot make any guarantees on where on the roadmap this will be implemented. For now I recommend you explore whether the workaround stated above will help you sufficiently.

Sprawling spreadsheets so intricate Alexander the Great cuts them in half.

• Hey Rudolf,

Thank you. It is a nice woraround, however, it does create some extra work and we would like to use the measures in this case. But thank you anyway!

• Hi @Ward van Laatum ,

On the Preview, the Building Last Storage Result type is added to the Water Overlays. With this result type you can visualize and query with TQL the amount of water storage on Buildings.

This functionality will become available on the LTS in the beginning of 2021.

Tygron support team

• Hey @Godelief ,

Thank you. Is it also possible to make a distinction between storage in buildings, gardens and roads? I probably need an extra query...right?

• Hi @Ward van Laatum ,

With TQL it is currently not possible to query the GRIDVOLUME per category or function.

A workaround is to add an attribute to the certain categories to distinguish between them. For example add the attribute STORAGE_BUILDING to the buildings with water storage functions. Then add an Average overlay to visualize the constructions with this attribute.

With the Combination overlay you can then multiply the Average overlay with the buildings storage result type and query this.

See also this Wiki page for more information: https://previewsupport.tygron.com/wiki/Combo_Overlay_with_masking

For this workaround you have to create multiple Average + Combination overlays per category, so it is not an ideal workaround.

If you would like to send in this feature request, you can do that on our Idea page: https://www.tygron.com/en/roadmap/?showing=recent&status=all&tag=

Tygron support team

• edited December 2020

Hey @Godelief,

I think I understand your sollution. Howeever, aren't you assuming that you use all the storage available in a building? Let say I have a rainfall event and in 45 mm in total. So in this case my storage will be filled up by 45 mm, but my building has a storage of 80 mm, If I use your workaround, I result will be that the buidling storage is 80 mm (while in fact is is only 45 mm). Right?

• Hi @Ward van Laatum ,

No, with this workaround you can create an overlay with the actual used storage of a building.

More explanation:

For the STORAGE_BUILDING attribute, choose a value of 1.

When you add the Average Overlay, choose the option: gain insight into grid values and choose the STORAGE_BUILDING attribute.

When you then multiply this Average Overlay with the Building Last Storage result type in the Combination overlay, the values of the Building last storage grid will be multiplied by 1.

I hope it is more clear now!

Tygron support team