Receive email notifications by changing your settings.
Click on your picture in the top right corner, go to Preferences and select your notification preferences.

Literature sources for function values (heat stress and water storage)

I am using Tygron for academic purposes, therefore it is useful for me to know the literature sources used for the function values. In particular I am interested in water storage, infiltration and heat stress.
Is this documentation available somewhere?
For example, where did you get the function values for "city park" to be; water storage = 0 and heat effect = -8?

In the heat stress documentation, table 5.3 gives values for some features but not all. Also, where are the values in table 5.3 sourced from?

Comments

• Hi Ellie, you have already found the documentation available for heat stress (Verbeek 2010). Not all function values are defined based on (academic) sources. Some of these values are for instance defined using client or stakeholder input during projects. This could be based on experience - such as: a road type with water infiltration will give a positive effect in comparison to a road type without water infiltration when it is used for the waterstorage indicator.
    In case you have your own literature available as a source, you can easily overwrite the values in the Platform with these sources manually. More information about this can be found on our wiki page on function values http://support.tygron.com/wiki/Functions#Function_values

Tygron Support Team

• edited April 2019

Hi again Hedi, I would like to find the exact reference for Verbeek, 2010. When I type it into google and google scholar along with the key words heat stress there are no relevant papers. Could you perhaps upload the document, link to the document or full reference that this is referring to?

In addition to this, I am wondering if the heat stress indicator and overlay take shading into account. I understand this will be found in the UNESCO-IHE documentation. Do you also have access to the more detailed account of the original UNESCO-IHE documentation? (Similar to above I cannot find it in google/google scholar)

Thanks!

• Hi Hedi, do you have an update on this? I have really tried to find the Veerbeek documentation online but have had no luck...

• Hello Ellie,

unfortunately we do not have any other documentation on Veerbeek other than the documentation on our wiki. We have spoken to him recently and asked him about this info and he confirmed that this is still accurate and he himself didn't have any additional info as well.
    I think there is not much more we can do for you to help you get your answers sorry. Like Hedi said, if you have your own literature you want to make use of, please adjust the fanction values to the desired value to work with.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Thanks for the follow-up Hansje :smile:
    Do you perhaps know if the heat stress model accounts for shading of trees?

• Hi Ellie,

I know this is not taken into account. It just counts the surface of the grid cell and the grid cells around it. Based on the surface type and the corresponding function value the calculation is made. Height and shade is not part of the calculation. If you want to make it count in the calculation you could change the function value but this will be counted for all gridcells with that surface type so I would advice to use an average number which counts for shade and no shade gridcells for trees. But this is free to your own choice of course ;P

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• In our new Heat stress overlay, which is in accordance with the DPRA Heat stress report, the shading of trees is included. Read more about this topic on our Wiki.

This new Heat stress overlay is available on the Preview server at the start of January 2020 and will be released on the LTS server in the first quarter of 2020.

Tygron support team

• Hi,

I'm also interested in the reference of Veerbeek (2010) just for citation purposes. However, I'm not able to find it. In the wiki document there is the in-line citation but not the referece: https://support.tygron.com/w/downloads/climategame/Heatstress.pdf

May you provide this reference, please?

• Hello Josep,

The link you mention in your post is all we have available as a reference.

It was a an oral contribution from Veerbeek during making the Climategame. We backchecked with his like a year or two ago and he confirmed this was still his statement now days.

So unfortunately we cannot help you on other materials about this.

Kind regards,
    Hansje
    Tygron support team

• Hi! I revisited this comment. I understand that this came from an oral conversation. However, it is said that the values in the table came from UNESCO-IHE barometer. Can it be found somewhere? I'm not able to find it anywhere. Not in UNESCO's website neither in IHE's website.

Thank you.

• Dear @jpueyo ,

Unfortunately we can not help you with any reference to the term 'Unesco-IHE barometer' either, as the term probably also was communicated to us verbally. The Unesco-IHE heat stress model was implemented in our Climategame, as it was the most accurate model at that time. Last year we implemented the more accurate DRPA based model in the Tygron Geodesign Platform, which has a wide consensus in the international climate science field, and is much better (scientifically) documented as well.

Kind regards,

Vincent

Tygron Support Team

• edited September 2021

Thank you @RudolfNL!

For completeness, as I am redirected to Tygron Main page when selecting the direct link, the file you are referring to is called 'Climategame reference book- full version(PDF)', in the documentation paragraph in the main article.

Regards, Vincent